Business & Policy
Supporting the Advancement of Women in Agriculture (SAWA) Advisory Group members announced by CAHRC
July 28, 2015 - The Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council (CAHRC) is pleased to announce the formation of the Advisory Group for the Supporting the Advancement of Women in Agriculture project. This project will examine and address critical barriers to advancement facing women in the industry. Based on these results, there will be a strategic program developed and implemented to support improved access to leadership opportunities and strengthened business success for women working in agriculture.
As the project moves forward, the Advisory Group will provide feedback around key lines of enquiry to ensure meaningful outcomes for the agricultural community. This includes identifying subject matter experts to participate in the research, development and validation activities. Members will also assist in guiding the progress of the project for the next two years and as findings come in will provide feedback on proposed research instruments, tool drafts, report drafts, and other project elements.
The Advisory Group is comprised of professional and entrepreneurial women and men in the agriculture industry with an interest in advancing women in leadership roles. Members were drawn from senior management and executive positions in farm businesses, agricultural associations and agribusiness. They provide a balance of representation from across Canada as well as a cross-section of production areas, business focus and industry associations. The members include:
- Heather Broughton, Agriculture and Food Council of Alberta, Agri-Food Management Excellence Inc.
- Chantelle Donahue, Vice-President Corporate Affairs, Cargill Limited
- Dr. Annemieke Farenhorst, NSERC Chair for Women in Science and Engineering, Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences, University of Manitoba
- Susan Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald & Co, Canadian AgriWomen Network
- Rebecca Hannam, Advanced Agricultural Leadership Program, Rural Ontario Institute,
- Dr. Laura Halfyard, Sunrise and Connaigre Mussel Farms, Canadian Aquaculture Industry Association
- Brenda Lammens, Agri-Food Management Institute, Canadian AgriWomen Network
- Geneviève Lemonde, AGRIcarrières
- Iris Meck, Iris Meck Communications
- Debra Pretty-Straathof, Ontario Federation of Agriculture, World Farmers Organization (WFO) Standing Committee on Women in Agriculture
- Lis Robertson, Canadian Association of Farm Advisors
- Kim Shukla, Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance
There will be ways for others to get involved in the project as well. In the near future CAHRC will be announcing sub-groups focused on specific areas. There will also be social media groups through Linked-In and Facebook formed to allow for greater connection and communication throughout the project.
For more information or to get involved with Supporting the Advancement of Women in Agriculture, please contact Jennifer Wright, HR Consultant at email@example.com or Debra Hauer, Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit CAHRC at www.cahrc-ccrha.ca. This project is funded by Status of Women Canada.
July 28, 2015 By Potatoes in Canada
Print this page